Free Consultation | Hablamos Español

What to do when in an Accident

When involved in an accident while working, there are many things that must be taken care of. First you need to ensure you are receiving proper medical care. Medical treatment must be covered free of change by the Workers’ Compensation insurance carrier. It is necessary for you to notify your employer of the accident within 30 days (preferably in writing), and file a C3 form with the Workers’ Compensation board immediately.  This is to ensure your entitlement to lost wages and medical treatment. 

While you are out of work you are entitled to receive weekly compensation payments from the Workers’ Compensation carrier. Carriers notoriously do not voluntarily pay injured workers while they are out of work. Instead, they wait until the injured worker or their attorney requests a hearing in front of a Workers’ Compensation Law Judge. On the rare occasions where the carrier voluntarily pays an injured worker before a hearing, the carrier frequently pays the claimant much less than they are entitled to. Therefore, even if the carrier is voluntarily paying, it is highly recommended for an attorney to be consulted to see how much more money you could be entitled to.

Additionally, once your condition becomes permanent, (ie. treatment is not helping you anymore) even if you return to work you may be entitled to a lump sum payment. 

Workers’ Compensation Law is a very specialized field as there are many intricate details, which only attorneys that regularly handle these cases, are aware of. You should also know that under Workers’ Compensation Law, no attorney fee is to be paid by the injured worker unless the attorney is able to recover money.

If you are hurt at work, it is highly recommend that you ensure all proper forms are filled out, submitted, and that you consult an experienced attorney in the field.